Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My Publications Are All Stock Photos


My third guest post is up at Getting Naughty Between the Stacks, a fabricated interview with a high school janitor who makes a tangential appearance in Five Days. He didn’t exist until the fourth draft. The more the universe of this novella is fleshed out, the more I realize how utterly insular it was to begin with.

In Five Days, there are only two named characters: Sam and Alicia. There is no one else. They interact exclusively with each other. These two lovers are the extent of their world. Reflecting on this now, I find it almost heartbreaking. How desperate was I?

Today I spent a surprising amount of time anthropomorphizing sock widows. They prefer narrow, hidden spaces where they can drape themselves in darkness and seclusion. More than that, they love it when you find them years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment