My first novel, PALACES, was published by Two Dollar Radio in January 2018. Order it directly from the publisher or visit your favorite independent bookstore.
—Publishers Weekly (starred review)
"Palaces is robust, both current and clairvoyant, and answers the question of what happens when our deepest fantasies become reality. With a pitch-perfect portrayal of the punk scene and idiosyncratic, meaty characters, this is a wonderful novel that takes no prisoners."
—Foreword Reviews (starred review)
"Palaces utilizes aspects of speculative fiction and horror as its story unfolds, but its questions are thoroughly primal. . . . Whether he’s outlining a harrowing vision of a sparse tomorrow or providing a lived-in perspective on a small punk scene, Jacobs has unsettling questions on his mind, and the disorienting narrative of Palaces is the means by which he’s asking them."
—Tobias Carroll, Tor.com
"Palaces is post-apocalyptic, but stranger than that. It’s a novel that’s gritty, moving, and punk."
—Nate McNamara, Literary Hub
"A fierce fever dream paused at that worst moment before we wake up. A tightening loop of the tension of untying and retying ourselves down: to people, to place, to motive and motivation. Less a meditation than a persistent jab in the ribs, repeating patterns of distrust and surrender. Addictively disorienting."
—Jac Jemc, author of The Grip of It and My Only Wife
"In this singular debut novel that reads like a cross between Derek Jarman's Jubilee and an unsettling folk ballad, Jacobs narrates the journey of two Midwestern pilgrims, each striving for ascetic purity both in their possessions and in their emotional lives, as they silently war against the ostentation of the wealthy, the dread expectations of gender, maybe against object permanence itself. It feels like The Road, but with less faith in humanity, and this S. Jacobs is a literary talent to watch."
—Jeanne Thornton, author of The Dream of Doctor Bantam
- starred review in Publishers Weekly. [1.18]
- starred review in Foreword Reviews. [1.18]
- interview with Two Dollar Radio.
- review by Tobias Carroll on Tor.com. [1.26.18.]
- reviewed in the The Arkansas International. [1.18.]
- "Hitting Shelves" feature on Fiction Advocate. [1.16.18]
- on BookRiot's "8 Small Press Books to Read in January." [1.21.18]
- recommended by Nate McNamara in "15 Books You Should Read This January" on Literary Hub. [1.5.18]
- included in "Most Anticipated Small Press Books of 2018!" on Big Other. [1.04.18]
- included in "What You Should Be Reading This January" on Culture Trip (UK). [1.10.18]
- add/rate it on Goodreads.
If you're interested in learning more, reviewing the book, etc, reach out at jacobs852 [at] gmail [dot] com.
Booksellers, critics, librarians, and others can request ARC copies from Two Dollar Radio here (available now!).